What you'll find here:

This blog is a collection of vintage advertisements, posted Monday through Friday. All ads are scans from magazines in my collection (or those of my friends), so I claim no copyright over them. Remember, these ads are from bygone eras: don't get upset if you see something you don't like, nor excited if you see something you do.

If you particularly like an ad and want a hi-res copy for yourself, email or message me and I can send you one.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Bonus Friday - Cars and Shoes

Playboy Oct. 1968
   Once again I give you a nice half-page double ad from a vintage Playboy.  I've got a soft spot for Datsuns, so I am drawn particularly strongly to the classic Fairlady Roadster on the top there.  As usual, I like to point out the power figures on old sports cars like this: 96 horsepower from a 1.6 liter engine. (135 with the 2.0)  Synchros were new enough that they still advertised them.  Also note that "the works" included such options as a clock and defrosters.  For less than $3000 no less!

But let's not ignore this nice ad for luxurious shoes for pampering your feet!  Do I detect the scent of subtle sexism?  Women don't normally nuzzle my feet, so maybe I just need some French Shriners to get some of that foot-fawning action.

Datsun ad text:
    "More for the money than any other sports car in its class!" says Road & Track.  Datsun 1600! '67 Daytona Winner - Class F Champ!  96 hp dual carb engine.  All synchro 4-speed stick.  Safety front disc brakes.  The complete one!  Delivers with over $300 in no-cost extras: Radio, Electric Clock, Large Tach, Center Console, Heater & Defrosters, Tonneau Cover, the works!  Just for $2766 at your Datsun Dealer. For even more action see the new Datsun 2000 with 135 h.p. O.H.C. engine!

French Shriner text:
     Never such comfort that looks so smart... or style that gives such comfort.  Select a SOFT-LIFE style... and let yourself be pampered.

No comments:

Post a Comment