What you'll find here:

This blog is a collection of vintage advertisements, posted Monday through Friday. All ads are scans from magazines in my collection (or those of my friends), so I claim no copyright over them. Remember, these ads are from bygone eras: don't get upset if you see something you don't like, nor excited if you see something you do.

If you particularly like an ad and want a hi-res copy for yourself, email or message me and I can send you one.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Volkswagen Beetle

Playboy Oct. 1968
     Volkswagen is one of the only companies that makes self-deprecation cute.  Other ads I've commented on come off as pretentious or confusing.  Here, however, VW simply states that the Beetle is - yet again - the same as it always had been.  It's one of the only cars that's been marketed as ugly as if it were a good thing.

Ad text:  Beautiful.  It's not any longer.  It's not any lower.  And it's not any wider.  The 1969 Volkswagen.  13 improvements.  Ugly as ever.  Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment