What you'll find here:

This blog is a collection of vintage advertisements, posted Monday through Friday. All ads are scans from magazines in my collection (or those of my friends), so I claim no copyright over them. Remember, these ads are from bygone eras: don't get upset if you see something you don't like, nor excited if you see something you do.

If you particularly like an ad and want a hi-res copy for yourself, email or message me and I can send you one.

Friday, December 20, 2013

American Motors AMX

Playboy Jan. 1969
     This ad is another in the same series as this one I showed a while back.  It follows the formula of comparing one of American's offerings to it's competitors.  Last time, I bashed the Javelin for being compared to the Mustang, which history proved to be the better (or at least more popular) car.  This time, I don't know what to say.  There isn't a car to compare the AMX to.  I'm sure the ad is trying to say "the AMX is like no other car out there!" but I'm really getting a "we didn't want to bother finding a car to compare it to" vibe here.  As I recall (readers feel free to correct me), the AMX was intended as a competitor for the souped-up Mustangs and Camaros that Ford and Chevy were putting out in those days.  Again, it lost the war as time saw American Motors bellyup and Ford and Chevy still chugging along.

No comments:

Post a Comment