What you'll find here:

This blog is a collection of vintage advertisements, posted Monday through Friday. All ads are scans from magazines in my collection (or those of my friends), so I claim no copyright over them. Remember, these ads are from bygone eras: don't get upset if you see something you don't like, nor excited if you see something you do.

If you particularly like an ad and want a hi-res copy for yourself, email or message me and I can send you one.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Wren Shirts

Playboy Sept. 1964
     Here's another example of art in advertising.  Rather than a photo of their product, Wren Shirts Ltd. has opted to illustrate a Cary Grant-eque man wearing plaid.  Not a bad strategy, I suppose.  Makes the ad more memorable than another photo of another model.
Ad text:
How to go from M.I.T. to R.C.A. (And make it P.D.Q)  Get ahead in this color-rich Wren shirt of imported gingham plaid.  From campus to career, it's the very right, decidedly traditional shirt... with rolled button-down collar, loop in back, other correct details.  Designed exclusively for Wren Shirts Ltd. by Douglas MacDaid of Princeton and New Haven. Authentic tartans... Ancient Clan Chalton, Ancient MacMillan, Ancient MacLachlan.  At finest stores, about $9.00. Wren Shirts Ltd., 390 Fifth avenue, N.Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment